Image Map

Friday, December 23, 2011

Elapsed Time Freebie

When we go back in January we'll be jumping right into our Time unit. During my planning days (during track out) I got all kinds of excited planning and making games and activities to use. I made a fun elapsed time game that includes Phineas & Ferb. My kiddos love Phineas & Ferb and I hear lots of quotes and stories about the show. It doesn't hurt that my roommate also loves the show. She works at the YMCA and they used it for one of their track out camp themes.

The game is pretty simple. To play the kiddos need a recording sheet, two dice, and a stack of activity cards. You need to make the dice using either blocks or by printing a die template onto cardstock. On one die put times like 4:00, 8:00, 5:30, etc (based on what your kids can tell time to) and then on the other put periods of time lik
e 1 hour, 2 hours, 30 minutes, etc. The goal of the game is to figure out the ending time. I put little Judy Clocks in each game set for the kiddos to use to help them. The activity cards are purely for fun but I think the kiddos will enjoy connecting an activity with a period of time. I can hear them going "What? It only took Phineas and Ferb 30 minutes to build Swinter?".

Click HERE to go to Google Docs to Download. I hope you enjoy and are able to use this freebie with your kiddos!

7 comments:

  1. :) My kiddos will love this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! My kids always have the hardest time with this. Thanks for sharing :)

    Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. Elapsed time is so HARD even for my third graders. They love Phineas and Ferb too.

    Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this! I'm looking forward to using it with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!! This is soooo awesome! I am teaching a lesson on elasped time for my professor to observe and I think this will make such a wonderful activity! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm your newest follower. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete